Fly, Fight, and Win

Fly, Fight, and Win

Saturday, November 22, 2014

A Balancing Act

Time management.

You'll hear those words many times in your ROTC career. Much of your success will depend on your ability to manage your time.

Let's be honest. ROTC takes a lot of your time. You'll have regular classes, PT, Leadership Lab, AAS, Drill Team, Color Guard, Recruiting, fundraising, socials, dining events, and more! Not to mention--you're a full-time student. What about your social life? Some of you have wives or husbands, and even children! 

How do you manage all of that?

To be honest, I have not always been the best at managing my time in regards to my family. My wife has had a rough time with the amount of time I have dedicated to my academics and ROTC. I accomplished my goals in terms of ROTC--I got an ENJJPT slot--but did I spend too much time in ROTC? I don't necessarily know the answer to that question, but I do know this: You need to figure out exactly what your priorities are, and your family should be at the top of your list. 

I would propose the following priority list:

1. Family
2. Religion
3. Academics
4. ROTC
5. Job

Social life, partying, xbox, and other forms of entertainment come last. It may seem strange that--in a blog dedicated to success in ROTC--I've placed ROTC as number 4 on the priority list. Trust me, it hasn't always felt that way in terms of time allocation. However, the truth is, Family, Religion, and Academics must come first for obvious reasons. 

Figure out your priorities early on. This will help you stay balanced and focused on what really matters


No comments:

Post a Comment