Fly, Fight, and Win

Fly, Fight, and Win

Saturday, December 6, 2014

What I wish I would have known...



Alright. I'm headed into my last semester of ROTC. I've made it through the selection processes, and just need to keep my grades up and graduate. I'm excited for a new POC job next semester, especially because I'll be able to work with new GMC cadets.

As I come to the end of my ROTC experience, I look back and wonder what I might have done differently.

The famous question: "If you could start over, what do you wish you would have known?"

Well, let's see...

First, ROTC will suck you in. Don't forget about your family. We've all heard old Colonels and Generals talk about the importance of balancing life, etc. But guess what--it starts immediately. ROTC isn't the military--I get that. But it can get pretty demanding, especially in a large Detachment. When you start to commit your time and energy to it--which you should--you'll find it taking over. Remember to say "no" sometimes.

Something personal: My wife recently expressed some concern to me through a letter. She described her worry that I was spending too much time in school and ROTC, and not enough time with her. Whoa. Reality check. Big time. I've since tried harder to dedicate time to her. It's not always easy. But don't get caught in the "I'm-doing-this-for-you" trap. If you're like me, excelling in school and ROTC is what I do best, and what I find myself wanting to do. Sometimes it takes more self-discipline to come home and simply turn that stuff off, focus on your wife, and give yourself to her. Time is everything. With the little time you do have--don't waste it playing video games and watching TV. Take your spouse out on a date.

Next, BE YOURSELF. I remember feeling SO worried as a GMC that I might not make it to FT. I worked so hard, and there was a season of "finding myself." What I mean is that I had to discover that I would be most successful by simply being myself. Don't let others tell you how to be. Don't "play the game," as it's so often called. Just be who you are, because you're better than anyone else at it.


Something specific: There is power in preparation. As you prepare for FT, or any other stressful test, understand that you will do great if you are prepared. Don't worry about the yelling, the stress, etc--as long as you know your stuff. The best FT advice is to know the Field Training Manual cold, and know how to march. If you are confident in these two things, it won't matter when people yell at you, put stress on you, etc. You'll do great, because your training and preparation will take over.

There are my few thoughts for the day.

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment