Fly, Fight, and Win

Fly, Fight, and Win

Saturday, October 25, 2014

POSITIVE ROLE MODELS

Today I want to talk about the importance of positive role models.

Officers in the USAF are first and foremost leaders. It doesn't matter what you want to be in terms of your job, you must first learn to lead. When you join ROTC, you become a student of leadership.

In a recent study (http://www.ccl.org/leadership/pdf/research/LearningLeadershipMilitary.pdf), some senior military officers participated in a survey about their leadership development. They were asked which elements impacted their leadership learning most. What do you think was at the top of the list?


Here you can see that positive role models was first. Not only that, but negative role models was second.


In your ROTC career, you will quickly find yourself influenced by your leaders. Other GMC, POC, and your cadre will have a large impact in your development.


You will find yourself wanting to be like certain leaders; and others, you will want to forget. These positive and negative role models will impact you dramatically.

I'd like to talk about one such role model in my life. When I joined ROTC, I got involved with the rifle drill team. The drill team commander at the time was an outstanding POC cadet. He quickly became a role model. His took his role as a POC seriously, and treated us with respect. He knew what he wanted, and was striving to be the best that he could. He took time to mentor me, provide me with feedback, and help me find success. He helped me find my personal vision. I could tell that he actually cared about my success. His example was very impactful in my development. I wanted to be just like this guy.


This 2d LT recently graduated from Undergraduate Pilot Training (UPT) and is on his way to accomplishing his dreams. I look to him often as an example.

When you start ROTC, find a positive role model; a mentor who can show you how to succeed. Learn all you can. When you become a POC, become a positive role model. Don't let yourself be the negative role model.

1 comment: